This year 2017, as part of the Franco-German Cultural Fund, the diplomatic and cultural missions of France and Germany in Nigeria will be organising two parallel workshops on film animation in Lagos and Abuja. This focus is in response to the boom in Nigeria’s Animation sector. In fact, a number of small structures and companies have been created within the last 5 years; a pointer to animation’s growing presence in the Nigerian society as observed in advertisements, short films, festivals, departments in cinema schools etc.
In this regard, following a series of discussions with young practitioners in this growing sector, the idea came up to organise a special workshop with international and reputed animation professionals. According to these young professionals themselves, creativity and dynamism are present in Nigeria, however many faces specific issues regarding the technical aspects of animation.
During the ten-day workshops, a German film professional in Abuja, and a French professional in Lagos will work with participants to improve their skills in film animation, storyboard writing and, notably, visual effects.
The focus of these workshops is particularly on the technical aspects of film animation as follows: facial expressions, the fluidity of movements, and quality of design. The idea is to give participants an opportunity to increase their technical skills and interact with experienced professionals from Germany and France towards developing their career prospects in Nigeria’s vibrant film industry.
After the initial workshop phase, participants, facilitators, stakeholders and professional guests will attend a two-day professional conference in Lagos.
The summit will be a great platform for high-quality discussions about the animation sector and beyond; a chance to meet and interact with professionals from the animation, film and music sectors, and to discuss future areas of collaboration. It will also be an occasion to screen Nigerian, German, and French animated movies, and also to debrief participants on the outcome of the technical workshop.
In Abuja, the organising committee is composed of the Institut Français, the German Embassy Abuja and Waziri Film Studios. In Lagos, this project is managed by the Institut français du Nigeria and the Goethe–Institut Nigeria.
For apply download the Application Form
PARTICIPANTS PROFILE AND ADMISSION CRITERIA
- Preference will be given to groups of 3-4 persons that are already working on a film animation project.
- Number of participants: 10/15 persons per workshop
LEVEL OF SKILL:
- Have prior experience in film animation or the film industry in general.
- A good level of proficiency and working knowledge of popular animation software such as 3D Studio Max, Blender, Anime Studio/MOHO, Maya, Toon Boom Animate.
- Strong motivation to work in film animation.
- Be available from 24/09/2017 to 08/10/2017
- Send us: the filled application form with all the documents as requested
- In order to be considered, a lead applicant representing a production team/company of 3 to 4 persons should send the complete application file to
- – firstname.lastname@example.org,
- – email@example.com,
- – firstname.lastname@example.org,
- – Kuemail@example.com
Download the Application Form
All complete applications should be received before Sunday, 03/09/2017
Send all the requested documents as attachments
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS ARE EXPECTED TO BRING THE FOLLOWING:
- A computer,
- and all equipment you usually need to work and create animated characters (drawing books, special pens, pencils etc.)
The registration fee for 10 days is 5,000 Naira.
(including workshop participation and transport/accommodation to the 2-day professional event in Lagos for Abuja’s participant)
Institut Français Nigeria
Goethe Institut & German Missions in Nigeria
Download the Application Form
ABUJA / LAGOS WORKSHOP
Date: 25/09/2017 05/10/2017
TWO-DAY PROFESSIONAL SUMMIT IN LAGOS
Date: 6-7 / 10 / 2017